with all of those pretty new cotton lawns in the shop, i couldn't help but to stitch up a few new dresses for my girls. i wanted something simple with classic lines that would show off the lovely prints... i confess that i searched through my pattern stash and my pinterest boards before realizing that the tumble tee was the perfect solution!
so grab your favorite print and a pretty lining (i used batiste here, but a lightweight muslin works well or you can use a fun cotton print or solid for a pop of color on the inside)... the yardage requirement for main fabric is the same as called for in the pattern, plus remember that you'll need that same amount for the lining fabric. you'll also need a strand of perle cotton and one button.
1. print and assemble pattern piece A for size needed. (all seam allowances are 1/4". if you prefer using a larger seam allowance, cut pattern one size larger and use 1/2" seam allowance.)
2. cut two each of main fabric and lining fabric. cut one each on fold (use dashed line as fold line) main fabric and lining fabric.
3. with right sides together (RST), stitch main fabric front to back pieces at shoulder seams. repeat with lining fabric.
4. press seams open.
5. with main fabric and lining fabric RST, pin around arms and neckline.
6. stitch arms, beginning and ending at side seams.
7. mark point on center back seams 3" from raw edge of neckline. stitch from one point, pivoting to continue around neckline. end at marking on opposite center back seam. backstitch at beginning and end to secure seam.
8. clip corners and curves.
9. turn right sides out. press arm holes and front neckline only.
10. match the back center seam of main fabric where stitches end. folding back lining fabric so that it is not caught in the seam, stitch main fabric from where stitched end to hem, backstitching at beginning to secure seam.
11. repeat with lining, taking care not to catch main fabric in seam.
12. turn right sides out.
13. press back neckline, and press back center seam open.
14. fold main fabric up so that side seams of main fabric form continuous line with side seams of lining fabric, meeting at the bottom of the arm hole.
15. pin raw edges, starting in center to match seam lines. stitch in a continuous line from hem to hem.
16. repeat for other side.
17. hem lining fabric: fold under 3/4" and press, fold under 1" and press, then stitch.
18. hem main fabric: fold under 1/2" and press, fold under 3/4" and press, then stitch.
19. tie a knot at end of perle cotton strand.
20. with needle between the main and lining fabrics, go out and come back in to center back seam to form a loop.
21. on interior of dress, tie knot to secure loop.
22. sew on button.
fabric shown is yuwa cotton lawn in light blue floral, now available in the imagine gnats shop! tumble tee pattern available here.